- frozen Two
- Luxury Shopping Spree
Within moments guests can find themselves in front of the two most iconic architectural attractions in Australia, the Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. Fascinating exhibitions at the Art Gallery of New South Wales, the Australian Museum and the Australian Maritime Museum leave no doubt that Sydney is one of the world’s premier cultural capitals. If you’re not in love with the beach when you arrive, you can’t help but be smitten by the time you leave. With 40 pristine beaches to choose from, including world-famous Bondi Beach, you can watch fearless surfers harness the pounding waves or splash around in the gentle waters of a protected harbour beach.
DIRECTIONS & MAPS
Sofitel Sydney Wentworth is located on Phillip Street opposite the Chifley Tower, only twelve kilometres from Sydney's Kingsford Smith Airport and 500 metres from the nearest ferry, train and bus stops. For guests who wish to experience Sydney’s iconic tourist attractions, activities and things to do, this CBD hotel is near the Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney Harbour, The Rocks, Circular Quay and more.
Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
61-101 Philip Street
Sydney, NSW, 2000, Australia
Tel: +61 (02) 9228 9188
Fax: +61 (02) 9228 9133
Kingsford Smith International Airport Sydney is ten kilometres from the hotel.
- Sofitel Sydney Wentworth is a 20-minute drive via the Eastern Distributor - toll for north-bound cars is $4
- Limousines, taxis and shuttles for airport or hotel pick up can be organised with the Concierge Desk
DRIVING DIRECTIONS FROM AIRPORT
- Follow on to the Eastern Distributor - toll for north-bound cars of $4.
- Near toll booths select "City North" lane. After paying toll take the Macquarie Street exit. At the top of the rise off the exit, you will see the State Library on your left and the Royal Botanic Gardens on your right, and a set of traffic lights.
- Proceed through lights across Macquarie Street, and into Bent Street.
- Proceed through next set of lights at Phillip Street and take the next left into Bligh Street. (The third set of lights since the toll booth)
- Wilson Parking will be on your left hand side (approx 100 metres). Guest parking for 24 hours is charged at $57.00.
TRANSPORT FROM THE AIRPORT:
- Limousine: Luxury private limousine transfers are available using the Sofitel’s premier limousine service, Brunel Chauffeur Drive. Transfer prices start from AU$98 one-way for a luxury Australian sedan. For more information, kindly advise us of your flight details by emailing to h3665-FO2@sofitel.com or calling +61 2 9228 9188.
- Taxi: Taxis available from the airport taxi ranks - travel times are generally 30-40 minutes. Estimated cost based on non-peak traffic conditions, AU$40-$55.
- Train: Public train services available from both terminals - travel time approximately 20 minutes to Wynyard, Circular Quay and St. James Stations. One-way cost per person: Domestic Terminal AU$15.40 and International Terminal AU$16.20.
- Shuttle Bus: Shuttle buses are located outside both terminals. The approximate cost per person into the city is AU$15. These run daily on a regular basis until approximately 8:30pm. Due to the nature of this service, travel times can range from 30 to 90 minutes.
PUBLIC TRANSPORT IN SYDNEY
- Bus stop - 20 metres
- Wynyard Train Station - 500 metres
- Martin Place Train Station - 300 metres
- Circular Quay Ferries - 700 metres
Celebrating Our 50th Anniversary
Step back in Time with Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
2016 is a special year for Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, as the luxury heritage hotel celebrates 50 years since opening as the city’s first 5-star hotel in 1966. Sofitel Sydney Wentworth marks this impressive milestone, reflects back on our beginnings and invites guests to embark on the historic journey of the Wentworth Hotel.
Australia’s first international hotel, The Sofitel Sydney Wentworth was built in 1966 and elegantly blends its French traditions with the hotel's significance as the largest single brick structure in the southern hemisphere, with 15 storeys curving gently around an elevated garden courtyard.
Notable dates in our history:
In 1800, the site of the first Wentworth Hotel on Lang Street became part of a developing area of the new colony of Sydney called Church Hill.
In 1824, three substantial, two-storey terrace houses were built on Lang Street. The last terrace, No 3 Church Hill, became the future Wentworth Hotel
William Charles Wentworth and Dr. Wardell launched "The Australian" newspaper, which was published from No 3 Church Hill in 1833.
In 1854, a boarding residence was operated on the site, which became known as Wentworth House.
In 1882, Mary Hayes purchased Wentworth House and renamed it the Wentworth House Family Hotel.
On Christmas Day in 1888, fire destroyed Wentworth House.
In 1901, the lease on the Wentworth Hotel was given to Donald Samuel Maclurcan and remained in the Maclurcan family until 1950.
The Wentworth Ballroom was added and opened in 1920. The Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII and the Duke of Windsor after abdication, danced in the new ballroom on a number of occasions.
By 1925, the hotel was a well-established and popular destination and was expanded to 100 rooms and further expanded in 1940 to 200 rooms.
In 1950, Qantas Empire Airways negotiated a controlling interest in the hotel, thus beginning a new phase in the development of the hotel.
In 1961, approval was granted for Qantas to build a new 400-room hotel next to Qantas House in Chifley Square.
The new Wentworth Hotel was completed in 1966 and became the first 5-star hotel in Sydney.
In 1982, the hotel was resold and further refurbishments were done.
In 2002, Accor Hotels became the new operators of the hotel. Sofitel, as part of the Accor group, manages the day-to-day operations of the Wentworth.
Since opening, the Wentworth Hotel has hosted many international dignitaries and celebrities, such as Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh. Other visitors have been Prince Charles and Princess Diana, numerous film and sports stars as well as the first men on the moon.
To mark this milestone, Sofitel Sydney Wentworth invites to book one of our celebratory offers, click discover more